Welcome to the October 2023 Gradle Build Tool newsletter.
This edition covers recent content from the community, Gradle Build Tool 8.4, and an announcement about the new name of our enterprise product, Develocity.
From the Community
- Configuration Roles and the Blogging-Industrial Complex - Dive into Gradle 8.4’s new role-based configuration factory methods and explore how to use them to share artifacts between projects.
- Deploy a Ktor Service Docker Image from Artifact Registry to Cloud Run Using Gradle - Explore how to build an idiomatic Gradle plugin to manage the complexity of a cloud deployment pipeline and automatically limit deployments to source changes via task avoidance.
- Dependency Analysis Plugin - v1.25.0 has been released with better support for JVM projects, including source set analysis.
From the Gradle Team
Gradle Build Tool 8.4
Gradle 8.4 brings support for Java 21 (with toolchains), faster Java compilation on Windows, a simpler way to create dependency configurations for specific roles, and another round of improvements to Kotlin DSL. As always, there are many additional enhancements and bug fixes.
See the release notes for details.
Gradle Enterprise is Now Develocity
Gradle Inc. recently announced that it has changed the name of its award-winning software solution for improving developer productivity from Gradle Enterprise to Develocity.
“We chose the name Develocity because it tells you unambiguously who this product is for and what business value we deliver,” said Hans Dockter, Gradle Inc. founder and CEO. “Developers experience the productivity benefits directly, while organizations experience accelerated time to software delivery and business impact.”
The name change also mitigates the misconception that Gradle Enterprise is just for Gradle Build Tool users—Develocity also supports the Maven, Bazel and sbt build systems.
We have an exciting update about our training program that we’ve been covering in this newsletter. We are developing self-paced versions of our courses that you can consume on demand!
We will not be hosting live training sessions in November and December this year in order to focus on this task. Instead, we will incrementally release self-paced training courses. This will include our existing training journey for Gradle Build Tool and new training for Develocity.
Just like our live training courses, the self-paced courses will be free to enable everyone to participate and learn.
Upcoming Trainings and Events with Gradle
- October 24-25, Industry Event - BazelCon
- October 25, Online Training - Maven Build Cache Deep Dive
- October 26, Online Training - Gradle Build Tool Performance Optimization
- October 31, Online Training - Develocity for Productivity Engineers
- November 1, Industry Event - Open Source in Finance Forum
- November 6-9, Industry Event - W-JAX
- November 6-9, Industry Event - KubeCon: Chicago
- November 10-11, Community Event - OpenConf Greece
- November 14-15, Community Event - Scale by the Bay