Welcome to the May 2023 Gradle Build Tool newsletter.
This edition covers the latest Thoughtworks Tech Radar “adopt” recommendation for Gradle Kotlin DSL, news from the community, and the latest Gradle Enterprise release.
From the Community
Thoughtworks recommends adopting Gradle Kotlin DSL
Thoughtworks has promoted Gradle Kotlin DSL to “adopt” status in their renowned Technology Radar. The teams at Thoughtworks suggest “[using] Gradle Kotlin DSL as the default for starting new projects using Gradle, preferring it over Groovy.” See the Gradle Kotlin DSL entry for details.
This follows our own announcement last month about Kotlin DSL becoming the default for new Gradle builds, as well as similar announcements from Google and JetBrains.
- Keeping IDE Sync Times at Bay: A Historical Perspective - shares how Square boosted performance by 60% based on a range of improvements made to IDE sync times over the years
- 30 Ideas to Reduce Your Gradle Build Times - offers 30 tips that help improve the performance of your Gradle builds
- SourceCompatibility, TargetCompatibility, and JVM Toolchains in Gradle Explained - discusses the differences between defining sourceCompatibility, targetCompatibility and Java toolchain
- Simplify Your Dependency Management with Gradle Version Catalogs in Android - presents a short primer on how to use version catalogs and why they are helpful
- Scala and Kotlin Under One Roof - talks about how to set up a project that has a mix of both Scala and Kotlin code
- JDK 17: Using ParallelGC for the Kotlin Process in Android Builds - shows the impact of using the Parallel GC flag on build performance with APG 8.0.0 and JDK 17
- Understanding Gradle #32 – Artifact Transforms - shows how to use Artifact Transforms to turn old Jar files into clean Java Modules
- Why Can You Write Gradle in 2 Different Languages? - offers a historical explanation around why you can configure Gradle in Groovy or Kotlin, and why Kotlin may be a better choice
- Gradle Implementation vs. Compile Dependencies - talks about how to migrate from using the now removed
compiledependency configuration to the
- Recursive Wrapper Gradle Plugin - makes it easier to manage the wrapper configuration for included builds
From the Gradle Team
Major updates added to Gradle Enterprise 2023.1
The April launch of Gradle Enterprise 2023.1 was our first major release this year. For engineers, Gradle Enterprise 2023.1:
- Brings observability and insights into Gradle artifact transforms
- Offers a new Build Scan® query language that provides new capabilities for specifying build criteria using complex logical operators
- Provides more insights into Predictive Test Selection (PTS) simulation results
- Makes user access control management more robust
See release notes for details, and stay tuned for the upcoming release of Gradle Enterprise 2023.2!
We are excited to announce our participation in two 12-week summer programs where our engineers mentor early-career technologists, empowering them to hone their skills and kick-start their careers:
Together with our Gradle Fellows Mentorship Program (launched last year), these new programs reflect our commitment to bringing new contributors and increasing diversity in build automation and developer productivity engineering domains.
If you share our passion for developer productivity and tooling, consider joining our globally distributed team by checking out our job openings at gradle.com/careers.
Upcoming Events with Gradle
Check out our free, instructor-led training courses as well as upcoming presentations and keynotes from the globe-trotting Gradle team:
**May 30, **9am - 10am PT: Online Training - Managing Test Failures & Flakiness with Gradle Enterprise
May 31, 9am - 12pm PT: Online Training - Maven Build Cache Deep Dive
June 1, 9am - 11:30am PT: Online Training - Gradle Plugin Development
**June 6, **9am - 12:15pm PT: Online Training - Android Apps with Gradle Build Tool
June 7, 7am - 10:15am PT: Online Training - Android Apps with Gradle Build Tool - EMEA
**June 8, **9am - 11:30am PT: Online Training - Gradle Build Tool Configuration Organization
**June 8-9, **Industry Event - Droidcon - San Francisco, CA
**June 12-15, **Industry Event - DevopsCon - Berlin, Germany
**June 13 , **9am - 12:00pm PT: Online Training - Gradle Build Cache Deep Dive
June 14, 7am - 10:00am PT: Online Training - Gradle Build Cache Deep Dive - EMEA
June 15, **9am - 10am PT: **Online Training - Gradle Enterprise for Developers
**June 15-16, **Community Event - DevOps Days - Birmingham, UK
June 20, 9am - 10am PT: ** **Online Training - Gradle Enterprise for Productivity Engineers
**June 20, **9am - 1:30pm PT: Online Training - Introduction to Gradle Build Tool
**June 20-23, **Industry Event - JCON Europe - Cologne, Germany
**June 22, **7am - 11:30am PT: Online Training - Introduction to Gradle Build Tool - EMEA
**June 27, **9am - 1pm PT: Online Training - JVM Builds with Gradle Build Tool
**June 28, **7am - 11:00am PT: Online Training - JVM Builds with Gradle Build Tool - EMEA
**June 29, **Gradle Hosted Event - London Builds and Bullseyes Happy Hour