Welcome to the September 2022 Gradle Build Tool newsletter.
This edition covers news from the community with an emphasis on plugins. Some new plugins, old favorites, and Gradle’s GitHub Action. Plus, we’ve introduced a new training, “JVM Builds with Gradle Build Tool,” which will soon be listed on www.gradle.com/training for registrations.
From the Community
- How to Manage Dependencies Between Gradle Modules? — Manage dependency details in one central location with a Version Catalog.
- Using Version Catalogs on Android Projects — Good starting article with more resources and information about composite builds for users interested in Version Catalogs.
- How to Convert a Maven Project to Gradle in Real Life — The real world is often messier than
init. This post explains some common issues you might encounter when migrating a Maven project to Gradle – and how to overcome them.
- Everything About Jacoco and Sonarqube in Android — Everything you need to know to get started with code coverage in an Android Project.
- What’s Inside That Gradle Zip? — Take a look inside a Gradle release to learn about reproducible builds (something we intend to address soon).
- Understanding Gradle video: #21 Test and Code Coverage Reporting — Set up code coverage reports with JaCoCo. Along the way, you’ll learn how to aggregate reports for an entire code base.
- Understanding Gradle #22 – The JavaCompile Task — An in-depth look at Java compilation with the JavaCompile Task for beginners.
- Understanding Gradle #23 – Caching — A deep dive into all the types of caching used with Gradle, when to use them and what the all mean.
- Learn the Gradle Build Script Basics in 12 Minutes — Join along in this line-by-line explanation of writing a build script for a simple Java application.
- Publish a Java Library to MavenLocal with Gradle Android Studio — Starting from an empty activity, learn how to publish a Java Library in about ten minutes.
- Android Gradle Plugin 7.3.0 — To help users with low storage effectively manage their app space, all Android App Bundles now enable Store Archival by default.
- Build Parameters Gradle Plugin — Access parameters supplied to a Gradle build with compile-time safety.
- RefreshVersions ♥️ Gradle Version Catalog — Useful tool for switching to Version Catalogs or keeping dependencies updated.
- Gradle-download-task — Shows progress on downloads and facilitates the parallel download of multiple files.
- Gradle-snowflake — Simplify publishing Java functions to Snowflake.
From Gradle Team
A Better Way to Use Gradle With GitHub Actions
A Better Way to Use Gradle With GitHub Actions — We have a deep integration between Gradle and GitHub Actions. Setup is now more straightforward when building and testing your Gradle project with GitHub Actions.
New Free Training about JVM Builds with Gradle Build Tool
We have a new free training course starting next month: “JVM Builds with Gradle Build Tool.” This course deep-dives into best practices when working with JVM applications. Attend to walk away with a deeper understanding of building JVM projects and learn how to use modern best practices to boost productivity.
See the training page for all available courses.
Developer Productivity Engineering Summit
Register today to attend the Developer Productivity Engineering Summit, November 2-3, 2022, in San Francisco, featuring talks such as Airbnb Developer Productivity Wins and Flaky Tests & Binary Repositories, a Year in the Life of a Google DPE Engineer, to name a few.
Early bird pricing is now available. Use promo code “gbt-100” to get $100 off.
If you share our passion for developer productivity and tooling, consider joining our globally distributed team and check out our job openings at gradle.com/careers. We are looking for new teammates, including software engineers, solutions engineers, application security engineers, developer productivity engineers, and other roles.
- October 4, 9:00 am - 10:00 am (US EDT): Virtual Workshop — Gradle Enterprise Developers Training (EMEA)
- October 5, 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm (US EDT): Virtual Workshop — Gradle Enterprise Developers Training (US)
- October 11, 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm (US EDT): Virtual Workshop — Maven Build Cache Deep Dive
- October 13, 11:30 am - 3:30 pm (US EDT): Virtual Workshop — Introduction to Gradle Build Tool
- October 18, 12:00 pm - 3:30 pm (US EDT): Virtual Training — Introduction to Developer Productivity Engineering
- October 25, 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm (US EDT): Virtual Workshop — Gradle Build Cache Deep Dive
- November 1, 9:00 am - 10:00 am (US EDT): Virtual Training — Gradle Enterprise for Productivity Engineers Training
- November 2 - 3: Conference — DPE Summit 2022: Next Practices for Transforming the Developer Experience
See the Gradle Training webpage for an up-to-date list of all upcoming educational and training events.
If you have some news you’d like us to share in the next issue, use #gradle on Twitter or send us an email with the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until next time!
- The Gradle Build Tool Team